Installing proprietary ATI or NVIDIA video drivers for Ubuntu
This tutorial covers how to easily install proprietary drivers for your Nvidia or ATI video card using envy. These are the drivers that are listed in the download section of the ATI and NVIDIA Websites. Advantage to installing these drivers over the nvidia-glx or xorg-driver-fglrx are that you get a nice GUI control panel and advanced features to work with.
We will be using a script called "envy" created by Alberto Milone.
Works with the following Linux systems or remixes of them:
- Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10
- Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
- Linux Mint Daryna
- Linux Mint Celena
The installation Process:
1. Open a terminal and type the following as one line:
2. Type sudo dpkg -i envy*.deb
3. Type sudo apt-get install -f (to ensure all dependencies are installed)
4. Type sudo envy -g to start the script
5. Now, just follow the steps presented in the GUI envy auto-installer script to complete the installation and video driver configuration
If all goes well, you should be presented with a nice hardware accelerated graphical ATI or NVIDIA accelerated environment with a GUI control panel and advanced features.