UNetbootin is a Live USB creation tool that can be used to create a Live Linux USB flash drive from an ISO. Many Linux distributions are supported out of the box with custom install options available for Linux distributions that are not. It is important to mention that Live Linux USB flash drives created with this tool, do not currently utilize a persistence feature. The resulting USB Linux install will function just as it does from a CD. By default you will not be able to save and restore your changes.
UNetbootin was created by Geza Kovacs, released under GNU GPL v2.
How to use UNetbootin to create a Live Linux USB flash drive
The following assumes your working from within Windows and have a current copy of the ISO you wish to convert.
- Download UNetBootin for Windows
- Download your favorite Linux ISO
- Double click the Unetbootin Executable to start the program
- (1) Click the Diskimage radio box (2) browse to select your ISO (3) Set your target USB drive (4) click OK to start the creation
- Once the UNetbootin installer has completed, click Reboot Now
- Set your system BIOS or boot menu to boot from the USB device and enjoy your favorite Live Linux on USB