In the following tutorial, I will show you how we created a USB Parted Magic Flash Drive from within Windows. Parted Magic, created by Patrick Verner, is a fully functional operating system that also offers core programs pulled from GParted and Parted that enable a user to easily perform partitioning tasks. Other useful programs offered in Parted Magic include: Partition Image, TestDisk, fdisk, sfdisk, dd, and ddrescue. Usage is well documented and ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs formats are supported.
Parted Magic Partitioning Tool
Distribution Home Page: partedmagic.com
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 128MB
Persistent Feature: No
USB Parted Magic Flash Drive Checklist
- Windows PC to perform the install
- i586 processor and 256MB of RAM to operate or 128MB in “Live” mode
- Fat32 formatted Flash Drive
How to Create a USB Parted Magic Flash Drive
- Download and launch YUMI
- (1) Select your Flash Drive (2) Then choose Parted Magic (Partition Tools) from the list of distros. (3) Browse to your ISO file, and then click Create.
- Once the YUMI USB Installer has finished, reboot your PC and set the BIOS or Boot menu to boot from the USB device.
If all goes well, you should now have a portable USB Parted Magic Flash Drive which can be run from any PC that supports booting from USB.