Ophcrack is a free Windows Password Recovery tool that uses rainbow tables to retrieve Windows login passwords from password hashes. The tool is also made available in two versions (Vista Ophcrack and XP Ophcrack). In the following tutorial, we explain how we created an All In One USB Ophcrack Flash Drive. This bootable flash drive utility can then be used to recover, reveal or crack both Windows XP and Windows Vista login passwords.
Why Boot Ophcrack from a USB flash drive?
Having Ophcrack for Windows Vista and XP on a USB thumb drive can come in handy for those who may have lost their Windows admin or user Login Password and need to quickly recover a lost Windows password.
USB Bootable Windows Password Recovery Tool
Distribution Home Page: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 2+GB
Persistent Feature: No – Doesn’t need to be
- Windows Computer (Windows XP or Vista)
- Flash Drive (fat32 formatted)
- Universal USB Installer
How to Create a bootable Ophcrack flash drive
- Download and then launch the Universal USB Installer
- Select OphCrack XP, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Create a folder named vista_free inside the tables folder on your Flash Drive.
- Download and unzip the tables_vista_free. zip to the tables/vista_free folder on your USB Flash Drive.
- Reboot your PC and then set your system to boot from the USB device.
If all goes well, you should finally be booting from the USB stick into a mini Linux environment. You should now be able to recover both Windows XP and Windows Vista login Passwords using this single USB tool.