Install Knoppix 5.1.1 to a Flash Drive in Windows
USB Knoppix 5.1? This tutorial covers how to create a Knoppix 5.1.1 Flash Drive using Windows and our custom script. The user can then boot and run Knoppix Linux from a USB Flash Drive. Knoppix is based on Debian GNU/Linux and includes many useful applications such as Abiword, OpenOffice, Gimp, Konqueror, Mozilla, Apache, PHP, MySQL along with hundreds of other Open Source applications. Keep reading and we will show you how to make your own Portable Knoppix that you can then boot from any PC that supports USB boot.
Knoppix 5.1 Screenshot:
Distribution Home Page: Knoppix.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 1GB
Persistent Feature: Yes
You’ll need the following to create a Portable Knoppix:
- 1GB or Larger USB Flash Pen Drive (fat32 formatted)
- Windows PC to perform the conversion (XP or Vista)
- Knoppix Linux ISO
Installing Knoppix 5.1.1 to a Flash Drive:
This tutorial is obsolete! Please use the Universal USB Installer instead.
- Download the Knoppix Linux ISO
- Download and run USB Installer For Knoppix 5.1 and follow the onscreen instructions
- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot
Upon reboot, you should have a successful launch of Knoppix Linux from your USB memory stick.
Make Knoppix Persistent, using this Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image tutorial
Install Knoppix 5.1.1 to a Flash Drive in Windows published under Old USB installs from Windows