Install Runt Linux to a Flash Drive from Windows
This walk through illustrates how to do a simple install of RUNT linux on a USB Thumb drive and then boot and run it from USB. RUNT Linux is a super super tiny and very basic Linux version and is only recommended for intermediate to advanced Linux users who prefer to do work without using a graphical interface like X. Beware that RUNT by default does not use a GUI. It's a text only based distro.
Distribution Home Page: RUNT Linux
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 64MB
Persistent Feature: Unknown
What you'll need to create a Runt USB Flash Drive:
- 64MB or larger USB Flash Pen Drive
- Runt Linux
- A running Windows to perform the install
How to create a RUNT USB Flash Drive using Windows:
- Download and launch the Universal USB Installer,
- 1.) Select Runt Linux from the drop down. 2.) Browse to your .zip file. 3.) Select your USB Drive. 4.) Click Create.
- Once the Installation has finished, restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot.
Save your BIOS settings. On the next reboot, you should have a successful launch of RUNT Linux.
Login name for RUNT: Root
Pass: No password set by default
Use the runthelp or diskhelp commands to get started using RUNT.
We will explain how to add a GUI login and other modules to this distro later.
Notes: If you need to create a boot floppy (no USB boot option in BIOS), run mkfloppy.bat from the runtutil directory.
Install Runt Linux to a Flash Drive from Windows published under Flash drive installs using Windows