Installing NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu Linux; Ubuntu does not ship with NVIDIA 3D acceleration enabled. Getting the NVIDIA Geforce video card working to its full potential requires the installation of an additional glx driver package. The nvidia-glx driver will allow us to make better use of the Geforce type video card.
The following graphical driver install process is simple, however some tutorials make it more complex than it really need be.
How to Install NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu Linux
- Open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update
- Type sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
- Type sudo apt-get upgrade
- Type sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
- Select the nvidia driver from the X server driver list and follow the on-screen steps to complete the configuration.
- Once finished with the configuration, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X server. You should be presented with a nice NVIDIA splash screen signaling that the driver is installed and working.
- You can test this in the terminal by typing glxinfo | grep direct (the output should be direct rendering: yes).
- You can also type glxgears to watch your card at work.