The following tutorial is for Debian or Ubuntu users who are looking to install proprietary drivers for their ATI or Nvidia video card. Installation of proprietary ATI or Nvidia video card drivers will allow you to take full advantage of all the 3d capabilities your Video card may have to offer. In this tutorial, we will be using a script called "envy" created by Alberto Milone.
Works with the following Linux systems or remixes of them:
- Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06
- UbuntuEdgy Eft 6.10
- Linux Mint Bianca
- Linux Mint Cassandra
- Debian Etch 4.0
The installation Process:
1. Open a terminal and type the following as one line:
2. Type sudo dpkg -i envy*.deb
3. Type sudo apt-get install -f (to ensure all dependencies are installed)
4. Type sudo envy -g to start the script
5. Now, just follow the steps presented in the GUI envy auto-installer script to complete the installation and video driver configuration
If all goes well, you should be presented with a nice hardware accelerated graphical ATI or NVIDIA accelerated environment with a GUI control panel and advanced features.