How to Install Gentoo on USB; The following how to tutorial explains one way to create a Gentoo Live USB Bootable Flash Drive using Windows, a Gentoo Live DVD, and the Universal USB Installer. Gentoo is a popular Linux version named after the Gentoo Penguin and was created by Daniel Robbins with a goal to create a smaller portable Linux distribution that only included required programs. Upon completion of this guide, you should have the Gentoo DVD running from your USB device.
Gentoo Live running from a Bootable USB
Distribution Home Page: https://www.gentoo.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 3GB+
Persistent Feature: No
You need the following to make the Live USB
- Windows OS up and running
- Computer capable of running a Bootable USB
- USB Flash Pen Drive (fat32 formatted)
- Gentoo Live DVD ISO
- Universal USB Installer
How to Install Gentoo on USB
Note: Running Gentoo from USB performs just like the Live CD. Currently a persistence feature is outside the scope of this tutorial.
- Download and then launch the Universal USB Installer
- Select Gentoo and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device. Save your changes and then reboot.
Upon reboot, you should finally have a successful launch of Gentoo USB Linux from your USB memory stick.