How to Install Gentoo on USB; The following how to tutorial explains one way to create a Gentoo Live USB Bootable Flash Drive using Windows, a Gentoo Live DVD, and the Universal USB Installer. Gentoo is a popular Linux version named after the Gentoo Penguin and was created by Daniel Robbins with a goal to create a smaller portable Linux distribution that only included required programs. Upon completion of this guide, you should have the Gentoo DVD running from your USB device.
Table of Contents
Gentoo Live running from a Bootable USB
Distribution Home Page: https://www.gentoo.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 3GB+
Persistent Feature: No
You need the following to make the Live USB
- Windows OS up and running
- Computer capable of running a Bootable USB
- USB Flash Pen Drive (fat32 formatted)
- Gentoo Live DVD ISO
- Universal USB Installer
How to Install Gentoo on USB
Note: Running Gentoo from USB performs just like the Live CD. Currently a persistence feature is outside the scope of this tutorial.
- Download and then launch the Universal USB Installer
- Select Gentoo and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device. Save your changes and then reboot.
Upon reboot, you should finally have a successful launch of Gentoo USB Linux from your USB memory stick.