Install DBAN to a USB Flash Drive using Windows
Run DBAN from a Flash Drive: In the following tutorial, we show you how we created a DBAN USB Flash Drive from Windows using our third party Universal USB Installer. Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a simple bootable data destruction tool created by Darik Horn. It can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI), completely deleting all contents of the disk. Upon completion, you should be able to run DBAN from your USB device.
DBAN Startup Menu
Distribution Home Page: http://www.dban.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 32MB (11MB free space)
Persistent Feature: No (Unnecessary)
DBAN Live USB Flash Drive Creation Essentials
- Windows PC to perform conversion
- USB flash drive (fat32 formatted)
- YUMI (does the conversion)
DBAN Live USB Flash Drive Creation
- Download and launch YUMI
- (1) Choose your Flash Drive. (2) Select "DBAN (Hard Drive Nuker)" from the list of distributions. (3) Browse to your ISO, and then click Create.
- Once the installation to USB is complete, restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device. Then save your changes and reboot.
If all went well, you should be booting from your DBAN USB.
Notes: The DBAN autonuke feature may also Nuke the Flash Drive (and as usual, any other drive it detects). To prevent DBAN's autonuke feature from wiping the thumb drive, pendrivelinux subscriber Lee Sonko suggests the following:
"Remove your thumb drive after dban has loaded, but before it has started wiping drives."
Install DBAN to a USB Flash Drive using Windows published under Flash drive installs using Windows