Easily Install DBAN on USB flash drive using Windows. How to create a DBAN bootable USB from Windows using the YUMI Multiboot tool. Darik’s Boot and Nuke also known as DBAN is a simple bootable data destruction tool. Created by Darik Horn, it can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI). It works by completely deleting all contents of the disk. By following along, anyone should be able to install, boot and run DBAN from a USB flash drive.
Running DBAN on USB Flash Drive
Here is a screenshot of Darik’s Boot and Nuke running from a Bootable USB.
Distribution Home Page: Project Homepage
Persistent Feature: No (Unnecessary)
Essentials to create a USB Bootable DBAN
- Windows PC to perform conversion
- Flash Drive (fat32 formatted)
- YUMI (does the DBAN Bootable USB conversion)
How to Install DBAN on USB Flash Drive
Installing (Dariks Boot and Nuke) DBAN on USB Flash Drive using YUMI on Windows.
- Download and launch the YUMI Multiboot Tool
- (1) Choose your Flash Drive.
- (2) Select “DBAN (Hard Drive Nuker)” from the list of distributions.
- (3) Browse to your ISO, and then click Create.
- Once YUMI has finished the installation, restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the flash drive. Then save your changes and reboot.
If all went well, you should be booting DBAN from your USB flash drive.
Notes: The autonuke feature may also Nuke the Flash Drive (and as usual, any other drive it detects). To prevent the autonuke feature from wiping the thumb drive, pendrivelinux subscriber Lee Sonko suggests the following:
“Remove your thumb drive after the Hard Drive Nuker has loaded, but before it has started wiping drives.”