How to easily install and then run DBAN from a flash drive. In the following tutorial, we show you how we created a DBAN bootable USB flash drive from Windows using YUMI. Darik’s Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a simple bootable data destruction tool created by Darik Horn. It can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI), completely deleting all contents of the disk. By following along, you should end up able to boot and run DBAN from a USB device.
Darik’s Boot and Nuke running from USB
Distribution Home Page: https://dban.org
Persistent Feature: No (Unnecessary)
Essentials to create a USB Bootable DBAN
- Windows PC to perform conversion
- Flash Drive (fat32 formatted)
- YUMI (does the conversion)
DBAN USB Bootable Flash Drive Creation
Installing Dariks Boot and Nuke to a USB Flash Drive using YUMI on Windows.
- Download and launch YUMI
- (1) Choose your Flash Drive. (2) Select “DBAN (Hard Drive Nuker)” from the list of distributions. (3) Browse to your ISO, and then click Create.
- Once YUMI has finished the installation, restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device. Then save your changes and reboot.
If all went well, you should be booting DBAN from your USB flash drive.
Notes: The autonuke feature may also Nuke the Flash Drive (and as usual, any other drive it detects). To prevent the autonuke feature from wiping the thumb drive, pendrivelinux subscriber Lee Sonko suggests the following:
“Remove your thumb drive after the Hard Drive Nuker has loaded, but before it has started wiping drives.”