How do I upgrade from Debian Etch to Lenny? The other day, one of our subscribers had asked us just that. Upgrading to a newer version of Debian is actually relatively simple and for the most part, can be done in very short time with just a few quick steps. So if you have Debian Linux installed on your PC and are eager to try out Lenny, go grab yourself a Soda and read on.
Please note that this tutorial assumes that your upgrading from a local hard drive installation of Debian Etch (This wont work on a compressed file-system)
Upgrading from Etch to Lenny:
- Open a terminal and type sudo su
- Now type cd /etc/apt/ && gedit sources.list
- Replace all occurrences of etch with lenny and save the file
- Back at the terminal type apt-get update
- Once the update has finished type apt-get dist-upgrade (and follow any onscreen instructions)
If all goes well, once finished you should be able to reboot into your new Debian Lenny kernel!