The following section covers how to access BIOS or enter BIOS so you can do things like set up USB Boot. Computer and motherboard manufacturers and BIOS suppliers may use varying keyboard keys or key combinations that can be pressed during system post to access your system BIOS. Unfortunately there is no standard method to universally access or enter a motherboard BIOS. The following is a list of some popular BIOS suppliers, Computer Vendors and the common keyboard key combinations that have been known to work with them.
How to Access BIOS - Enter BIOS System
The steps to access BIOS can vary depending on your computer's manufacturer and model, (see BIOS keys) but generally, you can follow these steps to enter a system BIOS:
- Start or restart your computer.
- As soon as the computer starts, look for a message on the screen that tells you which key to press to enter the BIOS setup.
- Press the key as soon as you see the message to enter the BIOS setup. If you miss the message or are not sure which key to press, you can try pressing the F2, F9, F10, F11, F12 or Del key repeatedly as the computer starts up.
- Once you have successfully entered the BIOS setup, you can navigate through the options using the arrow keys on your keyboard. The exact options and settings available will vary depending on your computer's manufacturer and model.
- When you're finished making changes, save your settings and exit the BIOS setup. To do this, look for an option to "Save and Exit" or "Exit and Save Changes" and follow the on-screen prompts.
You should be aware that making some changes to the BIOS setup can be risky and should always be done with caution. In general, it is recommended to only make changes if you know what you're doing. Also be sure to take note of all the changes you make as you make them so that you can later reverse or revert any BIOS changes, if necessary.
BIOS Keys by Manufacturer
There are several different keys and key combinations which are commonly used by various brands or manufacturers to access or enter a system BIOS/UEFI or boot menu.
Here is a list of BIOS keys by manufacturer:
|Brand||Key 1||Key 2||Key 3|
|Sony||F2 or F3||F11||Assist button|
Please note that this list may not be exhaustive and some models may have different BIOS keys. It's also important to press the key at the correct time, typically during the startup process (system post), to access the BIOS menu.