Create Ubuntu Bootable USB from CD
How to easily Create an Ubuntu Live Bootable USB with persistence from a running Live CD. In the following segment I show you how to use the Official Startup Disk Creator, created by the Ubuntu team to put Ubuntu on a USB Flash Drive. Ubuntu's Casper Persistent feature can also be used for saving and restoring changes on subsequent boots. Ubuntu is a very popular Open Source Linux distribution created by Canonical Ltd. It is originally based upon and derived from Debian. As such, it continues to share many of the same upstream roots.
The following method creates a Live Ubuntu USB that utilizes a compressed Squashfs file system. See How to Fully Install Ubuntu on USB, if you'd rather install and run Ubuntu from an external drive using a method that works exactly like it would running from an internal drive.
Distribution Home Page: Ubuntu
Offers a Persistent Feature: Yes
- A computer with a functional CD/DVD Drive
- An Ubuntu Live CD (up and running)
- A USB flash drive
Create an Ubuntu Bootable USB from CD
Note: You will need to Back up ALL data from your Flash Drive before proceeding!
- Insert your Ubuntu CD and restart your computer, booting from the Live CD
- Insert a USB flash drive
- Navigate to System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator:
- Next, (1) Select your Flash Drive from Disk to use. (2) Then choose Erase Disk (Make sure you have backed up any important data first)
- Now, (1) Select the partition related to your Flash Drive, (2) For Persistence, select the option Stored in reserved extra space and adjust the slider to desired capacity (4) Click the Make Startup Disk button:
- A progress bar should appears indicating the progression of the install.
- Once the installation has finished, remove the CD. Then proceed to restart your computer. As your PC begins to reboot, enter your Boot Menu or system BIOS. Finally, set your system to boot from your USB device. Save and then exit.
If all went well, you should now be booting directly from Ubuntu Live on your USB. 🙂
Create Ubuntu Bootable USB from CD published under Flash drive installs using Live CD