Install Gentoo 2007 to a Flash Drive using Windows
In the following Gentoo USB Flash Drive creation tutorial we cover how to create a Gentoo 2007.0 USB Flash Drive using Windows and our custom script. Gentoo is a popular Linux version named after the Gentoo Penguin. Gentoo was originally created by Daniel Robbins with a goal to create a smaller portable Linux distribution that only included required programs. This Gentoo USB installation tutorial was developed per the request and with a little help from Brendan Jocson, a Pendrivelinux.com subscriber. Kudo's goes to Brendan for helping establish this Portable Gentoo tutorial.
Gentoo 2007.0 Screenshot:
Distribution Home Page: http://www.gentoo.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 1GB
Persistent Feature: No
You’ll need the following to make a Gentoo Live USB:
- 1GB or Larger USB Flash Pen Drive
- Gentoo Linux ISO
How to create a USB Gentoo Flash Drive:
This tutorial is obsolete! This tutorial or version of Linux is old and has been removed. Please use the Universal USB Installer instead, as it can be used to install the latest version.
- Download and launch fixgt2.exe, a GentooUSB folder is created
- Download the Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD and move it to the GentooUSB folder
- Click fixgt2.bat from within the GentooUSB folder and follow the onscreen instructions
- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot
- Upon reboot, you should have a successful launch of Gentoo USB Linux from your USB memory stick.