Make a USB Boot CD for Kubuntu 8.10
This USB Boot CD can be used to boot Kubuntu 8.10 from a USB flash drive on computers with a BIOS that does not support booting from USB (including the Apple Mac, Macbook and, Macbook Pro). Kubuntu is a derivative of Ubuntu that uses the KDE desktop environment instead of Gnome. This boot CD loads the initrd and vmlinuz kernel from the CD and then loads the necessary USB drivers, proceeding to locate and extract the filesystem from the USB flash drive.
Can also be used to Boot Kubuntu from a USB Flash Drive on an Apple Mac, Macbook or, Macbook Pro.
Boots flash drives created using the from Windows USB Kubuntu 8.10 creation tutorial
USB Boot CD for Kubuntu 8.10 build essentials:
- PC with a BIOS that does not support booting from USB
- Kubuntu 8.10 CD
- Working CD Drive and USB Port
- USB flash drive with Kubuntu 8.10 preinstalled
Creating a CD to Boot Kubuntu from USB
The following process will enable you to create a Boot CD that can be used to Boot Kubuntu 8.10 from a USB Flash Drive on systems that do not natively support booting from USB.
- Insert the Kubuntu 8.10 Live CD and restart your computer, booting from the CD
- Open a terminal and type mkdir -p usbcdk/boot/grub
- Type cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito usbcdk/boot/grub
- Type touch usbcdk/boot/grub/menu.lst
- Type kate usbcdx/boot/grub/menu.lst
- Add the following information to your menu.lst file and save it
title Run Kubuntu 8.10 from USB DISK
kernel /boot/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/kubuntu.seed boot=casper noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent quiet splash
- Type sudo kate /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
Add the following lines to the end of your modules file and save the file:
- Type sudo kate /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
Add the following line to the bottom of the file and save the file:
- Type sudo mkinitramfs -o usbcdk/boot/initrd.gz
- Type mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o usbcdk810.iso usbcdk
- Type k3b usbcdk810.iso to burn the ISO to a CD
Booting from the USB Boot CD for Kubuntu
- Shutdown your computer
- Insert the USB Boot CD and your Kubuntu 8.10 flash drive
- Set your BIOS or Startup Menu to boot from CD
- Start your computer (booting from the CD)
If all goes well, the CD should load the necessary USB drivers, detect your
USB device and proceed to boot Kubuntu 8.10 from the flash drive.